The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is an internationally recognized organic textile standard. Since its introduction in 2006, GOTS has confirmed its real possibility and is supported by the growth in consumption of organic fibers and the demand for a unified processing criteria from the industry and retail sectors.
Exceed to world market with demonstrate organic status by certification
GOTS ensures the organic status of textiles from the harvesting of the raw materials through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing all the way to labelling, in order to provide credible assurances to the consumer. The standard covers the processing, manufacturing, packaging, labelling, trading and distribution of all textiles made from at least 70 percent certified organic natural fibers. The final fiber products may include, but are not limited to, yarns, fabrics, clothes and home textiles.
The standard provides for a subdivision into two label-grades:
Label-grade 1: ‚organic‘
≥ 95% certified organic fibres, ≤ 5 % non-organic natural or synthetic fibres
Label-grade 2: ‚made with X% organic‘
≥ 70% certified organic fibres, ≤ 30 % non-organic fibres, but a maximum of 10% synthetic fibres (respective 25% for socks, leggings and sportswear), as long as the raw materials used are not from certified organic origin, a sustainable forestry management program or recycled
How Companies Benefit with GOTS Certification
There are numerous ways in which companies benefit from becoming certified to the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS). Below we list the top five reasons how and why becoming certified to GOTS supports a company’s business case for sustainability.
- GOTS is a comprehensive risk management instrument for your supply chain
- GOTS sets strict and extensive environmental and social criteria for the entire supply chain
- GOTS criteria are explicit
- Third party certification serves as independent external verification versus self-claims
- Certification includes dual quality assurance – onsite inspection and product testing
- Certification provides the credibility and verification of claims that investors, and the public, expect.
Efficiency and Productivity
- GOTS’ wastewater management and other requirements result in improved eco-efficiency
- GOTS’ social compliance management requirements results in improved socio-efficiency
- GOTS certification facilitates sustainable supply chain management, cutting companies’ costs as they do not need to trace the whole supply chain themselves.
Innovation and Differentiation
- GOTS certification can grant access to new markets, e.g. public procurement
- GOTS is explicitly recognized by governments and leading textile, sport, environmental, and organic organizations worldwide.
- Sustainability innovation provides added value over conventional products
Sustainable Market Development
- Enables companies to be market drivers
- Readies companies for the increasingly stringent regulatory climate.
GOTS is recognized as the leading processing standard for textiles made from organic fiber worldwide.